Dr Klein Joined Guy’s and St Thomas’ Trust as a Consultant Microbiologist in 2004 and was Clinical Lead for Microbiology and Virology from 2009 till 2014. His medical training was preceded by obtaining a degree in Natural Sciences at Cambridge University in 1985 and he obtained the Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene at Liverpool in 1996. He was also awarded the Milne Medal for Tropical Medicine during this time. He started training in Clinical Microbiology in 1997 and gained an MSc in Clinical Microbiology in 1999. His main areas of expertise are the diagnosis and management of bacteraemia, management of imported malaria and infective endocarditis.
Dr Klein has been the Infection lead for the Endocarditis Service since 2004 and helped set up a formal weekly MDT from 2015. He also monitors in-hospital mortality for patients with infective endocarditis using a long-standing clinical database. Current work includes preparing a manuscript for publication describing the use of short course antibiotic therapy for patients undergoing valve surgery for active endocarditis.
1. Papineni P, Carroll A, Radvan J, Hemsley C, Chambers J, Cortes N, Harrison T, Klein JL. Management of Bartonella Prosthetic Valve Endocarditis without Cardiac Surgery Emerg Infect Dis 2017; 23(5):861-863
2. M. Carugati, C. A. Petti, C. Arnold, J. M. Miro, J. M. Pericàs, C. Garcia de la Maria, Z. Kanafani, E. Durante-Mangoni, J. Baddley, D. Wray, J. L. Klein, F. Delahaye, N. Fernandez-Hidalgo,M. M. Hannan, D. Murdoch, A. Bayer, V. H. Chu. Antistaphylococcal β-Lactams versus Vancomycin for Treatment of Infective Endocarditis Due to Methicillin-Susceptible Coagulase-Negative Staphylococci: a Prospective Cohort Study from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2016; 60(10): 6341-6349
3. Whitaker J, Williams S, Arujuna A, Rinaldi CA, Chambers J, Klein JL. Cardiac implantable electronic device-related endocarditis: A 12-year single-centre experience. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2012; 44: 922–926
4. Murdoch D.R. Corey GR, Hoen B, Miro JM, Fowler VG, Bayer AS, Karchmer AW, Olaison L, Pappas PA,. Moreillon P, Chambers ST, Chu VH, Falco V, Holland DJ, Jones P, Klein JL, et al. Clinical Presentation, Etiology and Outcome of Infective Endocarditis in the 21st Century. Arch Intern Med 2009;169:463-473
5. Baddley JW, Benjamin Jr DK, Patel M, Miro J, Ethan E, Barsic B, Bouza E, Clara L, Elliott T, Kanafani Z, Klein J et al. Candida Infective Endocarditis. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2008;27:519-29
6. Morpeth S, Murdoch D, Cabell CH, Karchmer AW, Pappas P, Levine D, Nacinovich F, Tattevin P, Fernandez-Hidalgo N, Dickerman S, Bouza E, del Rio A, Lejko-Zupanc T, de oliveira Ramos A, Iarussi D, Klein J et al. Non-Hacek Gram-Negative Bacillus Endocarditis. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:829-835
7. Cove-Smith A, Klein JL. Gonococcal endocarditis: forgotten but not quite gone. Scand J Infect Dis 2006;38:696-7
8. Chambers, Klein JL, Bennett SR, Monaghan MJ, and Roxburgh JC. Is antibiotic prophylaxis ever necessary before transoesophageal echocardiography? Heart Apr 2006; 92: 435 – 436
9. Minassian A, Chambers J, Klein JL. A non-infectious cardiac vegetation. Lancet 2005;366:264